WHAT IS PATH TO COLLEGE?
First Tee of Metropolitan New York created the Path to College program to provide participants with the critical tools and skills they need to prepare for college. Through educational seminars, workshops, college visits, and one-on-one tutorials, the objective is to provide every participant and their parents with the access and information they need to successfully navigate both the college application process and life after college.
Path to college | ace scholars | Summer Stem Academy
First Tee of Metropolitan New York offers three educational programs at The Bronx Campus located at Mosholu Golf Course:
1. Individual Tutoring
Our Individual Tutoring Program offers tutoring services in all subjects for 2nd-12th grade, by trained professionals. Costs are based on a sliding-fee scale. SAT prep classes are available throughout the year.
2. The ACE Scholars Program
The ACE Scholars Program is aimed specifically at middle school students who show commitment to First Tee and their academics, and are interested in gaining admission to NYC’s top high schools. Participants engage in 10 weeks (30 hours) of intensive study per session, from 6th grade through 8th grade. Enrollment is extremely competitive. Contact Karen LesPierre for more information.
3. Summer STEM Academy and Literacy Program
First Tee of Metropolitan New York offers a summer academic and golf program that provides participants with a fun and immersive way to study golf through the perspective of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM). Our summer academic curricula were created with intentional connections to National Common Core Standards, as well as 21st Century skills of communication, collaboration, critical thinking, and creativity. This program also boasts a robust literacy component and an introduction to computer programming.
- 77% of Ace Scholars made the Honor Roll.
- 100% of Ace Scholars entering 9th grade were accepted into competitive college-prep high schools, including Horace Mann, Fordham Prep, The Masters School, Iona Prep, and Preston.
- 97% of Path to College students demonstrated significant increase in core academic subjects.
- 92% of Path to College participants displayed readiness to advance in grade level in fall.
- 51% growth rate in STEM skills, according to pre- and post-assessments from Summer STEM Academy.
- Over 85% of Path to College participants have remained with First Tee Met NY for 4 years or more.
Serving the Community
- 73 scholarships / financial aid assistance given.
- $130,000 ($65k for Ace, $65k for summer) in scholarships awarded.
- Over 40% of participants were recruited from local community outreach programs (they ALL got scholarships).
- Compared with First Tee Met NY participants who attended ONLY golf certification classes, Path to College participants exhibited a 12% higher gain in social skills, on average, according to statistically validated surveys via Hello Insight’s youth development evaluation platform.
- 12 participants met for high school consultations and 20 participants met for college consultations with Karen LesPierre, Director of Path to College Program.
Educational Program EXPANSION to Regional First Tee CAMPUSES
The same Path to College programs that have proven so successful at Mosholu are now being expanded across the New York Met region. Our First Tee campus in Plainfield, NJ began implementing the ACE Scholars and Individual Tutoring Programs in 2019 and in July 2020, they will start the Summer STEM Academy. In the near future, additional First Tee campuses in the Metropolitan New York area will utilize these highly successful programs.
What Participants Had to Say About First Tee Met NY Educational Programs
“My grades are much better than last year. Last year I could barely keep up and was barely passing. Now I have an A- average.” – Emilia, 14
“I learned to be respectful to others and be a good person.” – Isaiah, 14
“I have been focusing more this year and I am considered the best clarinetist in the school.” – Olivia, 13
“I made an A in Philosophy, which used to be my worst class.” – Shane, 12
“ My grades are better than last year in all of my classes.” – Austin, 12
“I improved my vocabulary and learned more about high schools. At home, I do more chores.” – Emma B., 12
“I am accepted here. I have tutors that help me on everything. “ -Emma S.
“I am making lots of friends [at ACE Scholars] and having friends that support me.” – Jaylon, 12
“Elinor just finished her SAT Prep class with Danielle tonight and I wanted to let you know how impressed Elinor was with her. She felt that Danielle went into the subject with much greater detail, so I thought you might like to have some feedback.” – Parent